Masters in Hospital Administration – Now Trending
Continuous advancements in the field of medicine and healthcare have made a positive impact on the industry as a whole making healthcare the fastest growing sector in India. To cash in on this boom many corporate houses are also investing in it. As a result the industry is becoming more organized. Healthcare is increasingly becoming technology driven, equipment intensive and demands a system driven approach. All of this runs on a steady flow of efficient and trained manpower, thereby creating job opportunities.
In view of above, it is essential to have strong management acumen in the administrative end of all major hospitals. A MBA might be the first choice, but then again there are certain fine tuned aspects of health care that cannot be generalized like any other business. Owing to this need, Master in Hospital Administration (MHA) degree is getting preference over normal MBA degrees.
MHA – Fast Facts
So what is special about MHA? Let us break it down to simple details which apply to most institutes awarding this degree:
- Duration: Two academic years divided into four semesters, each of six months duration.
- Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree in Arts/ Science/ Commerce/ Engineering/ Technology/ Medical/Dental/ Pharmacy/ Agriculture or any other professional courses from recognized Indian universities
- Entrance test: Written test (MCQ-type of one-hour duration) followed by a Group Discussion and Interview
Now that we know the basics, let’s see what the course is all about? The course curriculum is usually designed in a way to cover conceptual and quantitative skills needed by future managers in highly demanding healthcare services.
- It should provide basic multi-disciplinary conceptual skills to protect the hospital, patients and clients from unnecessary litigation, quality and risk management, marketing, product diversification, operational logistics and disaster management.
- It aims to prepare students to handle the responsibilities of hospital administration in a government or private hospital. The emphasis should lie on developing knowledge, skill and attitude which a hospital manager/executive should reflect in their position.
- The course should equip the students to gain expertise in planning and managing different types of hospital resources and meet the challenges of cost, procurement, utilization and maintenance.
- MHA will also help visualize cost efficient outcomes that would benefit their organizations.
- In addition to all of the above it will help develop a conceptual skill set it will also give insights into healthcare marketing that will broaden the scope of future employment for MHA pass outs.
In terms of revenue and employment, Healthcare is one of the largest sectors. The overall Indian healthcare market today is worth US$ 100 billion and is expected to grow to US$ 280 billion by 2020, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 22.9 per cent. This brisk pace of growth is attributed to a growing consumer base, category of services and increased expenditure by public and private players.
This directly translates into a wide diversity in terms of career opportunities. The most prominent ones are:
- Hospital Operations
- Public Health Project Management with NGOs
- Healthcare Consultancy
- Hospital Information System
- Healthcare Insurance
- Medical Tourism
If you have a preference towards a service oriented job, the capacity to work for long hours, the ability to handle work pressure, have a flair for interacting with people and leadership qualities, then this is the right career path for you. With so many opportunities at your disposal, the time is right to make the most of this new course.
Some of the best educational institutes are teaching this future ready course. In Eastern India, NSHM Knowledge Campus is known for industry ready futuristic courses and it is no surprise that their MHA course is one of the most preferred ones in India.