B.Sc. in Fashion Design & Management
Fashion designing is a lucrative, appealing and exciting career option. With its traditional textile and garment trade, India has become the cynosure of innovation in garment and fashion design. A fresh crop of Indian designers with their exquisite craftsmanship has caught international attention.
But how to build a bridge in between industry and academics? A fashion design course, of course. NSHM Institute of Media & Design, one of the leading fashion designing colleges of Kolkata, presents the B.Sc. in Fashion Design & Management, one of the best fashion designing courses available in Eastern India.
NSHM Institute of Media & Design is the only fashion designing college to offer a 3 years full time degree programme in Fashion Designing, under WBUT.
[College Code: NCMTKOL]
|B.Sc. in Fashion Design & Management Course|
Scope & Career Opportunities
The Indian retail market is expected to demonstrate a promising year-on-year growth of 6% to reach USD 865 billion, by 2023, from the current USD 490 billion. The share of apparel in India’s retail market is 8%, corresponding to a value of USD 40 billion. In addition to fashion apparel, the growing demand for fashion accessories makes the Indian fashion market both interesting and lucrative.
A course in fashion designing equips students to pursue a wide range of career prospects which includes –
- Fashion Designing
- Fashion Merchandising
- Fashion Marketing
- Quality assurance
- Production planning & Quality Control
- Fashion Styling
- Fashion Illustration
- Fashion photography
- Entrepreneurship with own manufacturing / export unit
- Fundamental of Fashion Designing & its Application History of Art & Costumes – both Indian & Western Costume & Accessory
- Designing Fashion Illustration
- Pattern Making and Pattern Manipulation
- Sewing Fundamentals & Garment Assembling
- Textile Science & Surface Ornamentation
- Computer Graphics & Computer Aided Design
- Fashion Marketing & Export Merchandising
- Apparel Production & Retail Store Operation
- Fundamentals of Entrepreneurship
- Port Folio Making
- Final Collection
NSHM is the only Fashion designing college to offer a 3 years full time degree programme in Fashion Designing, under MAKAUT (formerly known as WBUT). The curriculum is a perfect blend covering elements of designing,managerial and technical aspects of textile and apparel sector. The course offers multitude career opportunities beyond designing like marketing management, quality assurance, product development, merchandising and entrepreneurship etc. The course also enables one to upgrade and complete masters in fashion designing.
- More than 15 years of Academic Excellence
- Contemporary course structure which open multiple career opportunities in fashion domain
- State-of-the-art-campus located in the heart of the city
- Corporate skill development
- Top of the line domain specific placement
- Only college to offer full time degree program in fashion studies under WBUT
- The department boasts of having state of the art labs: Art Room, Pattern Lab, Production Labs, CAD Lab & Language labs.
- The pedagogy supports organizing interactive sessions with guest speakers, industry visits, summer internships & project works that gives students hands on experience of the industry
Infrastructure/ Knowledge Tools
State-of-the-art Design Labs: The students get hands-on training in a variety of specialized labs, namely:
The heart of the fashion department, the art room is equipped with drawing tables, dyeing, embroidery and printing area, where the students develop paper patterns for their designs.
The pattern labs is where the students develop paper patterns for their sketched designs. The patterns are then cut on fabric for construction of the garment which is made in standard sizes, to be tried and fitted on industry sized dress forms and dummies.
Juki industrial sewing machines along with ramsons industrial steam iron and specialised finishing machines are provided to enable practical hands on work experience in the production lab, where the students stitch and finish the cut garment.
The CAD lab ensures our fashion students are not just well versed with designing software like Adobe Photoshop and Corel Draw but are also computer aided pattern making and textile development.
- Library with more than 10,000 books along with e-journals and e-magazines
- Vastly experienced faculty members with more than 70 % awarded or enrolled Ph.D scholars
- Huge Extra-curricular and Co-curricular engagement opportunities
10+2 passed in any stream from a recognised board. Candidates appearing for Class XII final can also apply.
3 Years (Full Time)