B. Optom. (Bachelor of Optometry)
The 1st year of Bachelors of optometry consists of basic sciences like ocular anatomy, physiology, optics, biochemistry, etc. The 2nd and 3rd year consists of clinical sciences and pre-clinical labs like visual optics, binocular vision, instrumentation, ocular diseases, clinical refraction, low vision, contact lens, thus, making the student ready for assessing real patients during the internship during the final 4th year.
[College Code Kolkata: NCMTKOL] [College Code Durgapur: NCMTDGP]
|B. Optom. Course Details|
|Eligibility||10+2 with Science|
Scope & Career Opportunities
- Clinical optometrist in private practice, government or private hospitals
- Optometrist in retail and corporate sector
- Lecturer / Professor in academic sector
- Research assistant, research associate and research coordinator
- Public health and community optometrist
- Basic research scientist
- Professional services
- Designing and manufacturing of contact lens, spectacles, and much more!
Professional Communication in English l Anatomy (General) l Physiology (General) l Geometrical Optics l Biochemistry (General & Ocular) l Anatomy (Ocular) l Physiology (Ocular) l Physical Optics l Computers l Environment & Ecology l Visual Optics l Lighting & The Eye l Medical Pathology & Microbiology (General & Ocular) l Pharmacology l Ophthalmic & Optical Instrumentation & Procedure l Clinical Refraction l Ocular Disease (Anterior Segment Disease, Posterior & Neuro Eye Disease) l Ophthalmic Lens & Dispensing Optics l Binocular Vision & Ocular Motility l Contact Lens l Low Vision Aids & Visual Rehabilitation l Systemic Condition & The Eye l Public Health & Community Optometry l Biostatistics l Professional Practice Management l Practical Training on Clinical Optometry l Practical Training on Low Visual Aid l Practical Training on Dispensing Optics l Practical Training in Contact Lens.
- Problem based learning (PBL) and case-based learning (CBL) to improve clinical decision making ability
- Weekly seminars and continuous medical education (CME)
- Evidence based practice (EBP) in optometry
- Practicing Eye Examination in Simulated Set-ups
- Invited guest talks by eminent faculty and industry partners
- Visiting faculty in addition to regular faculty for specialized subjects and topics
- Access to Knowledge resources through MOOC and online portals
- Membership for Journal club
- External clinical supervisors to maintain our standards with the current industry requirements
- Study tour of tertiary eye hospitals and their ophthalmic examinations techniques
- Manuscript writing and grant applications
- Participation in eye screening camps
1-year internship in top eye hospitals in India available in
- Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai and Kolkata
- LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, Vishakhapatnam and Bhubaneswar
- Aravind Eye Hopsital, Madurai and Pondicherry
- Dr. Agarwal’s Eye Hospital, Chennai
- B B Eye Foundation, Kolkata
- Susrut Eye Foundation & Research Centre, Kolkata
- Disha Eye Hospital, Kolkata
- Dr. Shroff’s Eye Hospital, New Delhi
- Dr. D Y Patil Institute
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University
- Narayana Nethralaya, Bangalore
- Nethradhama, Bangalore
- SRM Institute of Science & Technology
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College, Chennai
- Vasan Eye Care, Chennai and several others.
- Bausch & Lomb
- Johnson & Johnson
- Carl Zeiss AG
- GKB Optical
- Titan Eye
- Himalaya Opticals
- NSHM has outstanding library facilities for students & teachers, which includes a wide range of textbooks, reference books, journals etc. These huge collections of books cater to the intellectual curiosity of the students & suffice their academic demands.
- NSHM also subscribes to the latest peer-reviewed journals, periodicals, newsletters and magazines with a vision to promote updated learning and research.
International Resource Center
- Contains resource materials of International Association of Contact Lens Educators (IACLE) and Brien Holden Vision Institute Foundation (Formerly called ICEE Australia) to enhance the knowledge in the emerging areas of contact lens & ophthalmic dispensing.
- Optics Lab is equipped with equipments to learn geometrical and physical optics
- Optometry Lab is being currently revamped into a well-equipped modern state-of-the-art laboratory with sufficient equipments, specifically designed both for the Bachelors and Master in Optometry
- Pre-clinical lab to ready the optometry students on performing refraction, slit lamp and all optometry techniques on standardized and professional patients before the students can perform them on real patients.
- Computer lab
- Ophthalmic dispensing lab
- Specialty labs like contact lens, binocular vision, low vision and others
- Dedicated classrooms and laboratories only for optometry.
- Diabetic retinopathy prevalence and incidence among diabetics
- Myopia incidence and progression among school children
- Myopia control among school children
- Rate and nature of glaucoma progression among adult myopic eyes
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of ocular conditions as myopia, glaucoma etc.
- Amblyopia and its detection and others.
- Elite school of Optometry, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai
- Association of schools and colleges of optometry (ASCO)
- India vision institute (IVI)
- Optometry council of India (OCI)
- World Council of Optometry (WCO)
Industry and academic advisory board panel members
- Dr. Krishnakumar R, Principal, Elite School of Optometry
- Dr. Anuradha Narayanan, Lecturer, Elite School of Optometry
- Mr. Venkataraman Ramasethu, Senior clinical optometrist & academic head
- Dr. Monica Chaudhry, Professor, Ansal University
- Mr. Shajan Adolph, Country manager, Essilor India and others
Unique features of NSHM Optometry
Praxis approach of NSHM facilitated by our external clinical supervisors make our graduates highly trained individuals qualified for
- Clinical practice
- Research at par with any international university on Optometry & vision science
Hands on training
- Students attend community outreach programmes, camps and awareness campaigns. This makes learning fun, easy and more effective. They get a wonderful opportunity to contribute to society’s healthcare programmes as well.
Research & Scholarships
- Vision science research and manuscript writing training on binocular vision, contact lens, imaging, cornea, glaucoma, retina, low vision, visual ergonomics, etc.
- Scholarship opportunities for meritorious students
Students can be part of ongoing research projects & studies on
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Publish their work in national and international peer reviewed journals
High income potential
- Based on industrial projections worldwide, optometry is one of the top emerging fields of future jobs and has one of the highest potential to grow as a profession with great salary.
Attending Conference and Workshops
- NSHM provides its students and faculty the opportunity to attend conferences and workshops every year.
- We have instruments with state-of-the-art technology for teaching and training purpose.