Understanding the Hotels & Hospitality Industry
Hotel Management Industry Overview
A consistent spurt in the disposable income of the middle class has given scope to the tourism and hospitality sector, which is currently enjoying a healthy growth and contributing to 7.5% of the country’s overall GDP. As per industry analysts, the projected growth of the hospitality sector in India stands at 16.1% CAGR which is almost Rs 2,800 thousand crores in 2022. This sector covers a wide array of activities within the services sector and is a major job provider in direct and allied services. With a steady flow of Foreign Direct Investments it also is a significant contributor to country’s tax revenues.
Given how vital this industry is for the economy, let us identify some important aspects about the hospitality industry:
- Hospitality industry involves a variety of businesses and services linked to leisure and customer satisfaction.
- Luxury is a defining aspect of the hospitality industry. Pleasure, enjoyment and experiences are what drive the aspirations of the consumers, as opposed to catering for necessities and essentials.
- There are two broad industry
- Food & Beverages (production and services)
- Front Office & House-keeping (front-end and back-end service interaction)
Let us understand each of these in further details.
- Food & Beverages production is further divided into two sections – Cookery and Bakery. Cookery involves production of food from scratch for all types of cuisines around the world. Meanwhile Bakery involves baked items like puffs, pastries and cakes. This is one of the factors which drive revenue in the industry all round the year.
- Food and Beverages services include the techniques applied for running a hotel, restaurant, and banquet or bar business. This needs skills and management hence an increasing demand for qualified service professionals exists in the restaurant industry.
- Front Office services cover the front desk, reception area and the core operations department of the hotel. This also includes managing reservations, sales and marketing, housekeeping and concierge services. This is a guest’s first point of contact and a hotel’s chance of making a great first impression.
- Housekeeping department takes pride in keeping the hotel clean and comfortable, so as to create a ‘Home away from home’. They are always on call round the clock making life easier for everyone.
Careers in the Hotel Industry
Now that we have understood how the industry works, let us identify the various roles in which one can shape a career in this industry
- General management and administration
- Sales and marketing
- Human resource management
- Rooms division and front office
- Event management
- Food and beverage management
- Accounts and finance
- Retail management
- Customer Service
One can start from the basic roles and move on to take bigger responsibilities. The experience is what makes one stand out from their competitors. One could have a variety of different positions on their work experience, making them invaluable for recruiters.
A career in hotel management can show you the world and let you experience many different cultures. This is not just limited to international hotel chains but also luxury cruise liners that hire the best talents and give the best pay packages in foreign currency. Add to that the scope of making professional connections and new friends which also builds character that is essential for an exhilarating career in the hotel industry. Each experience adds to your ability to accommodate and communicate.
NSHM provides a stunning experience for students in their practical classes every week with an aim to create quality professionals. To explore the different degree options that can help you shape a career in hospitality click here