M.Sc. (Dietetics & Nutrition)
Food Science is a study concerned with all technical aspects of food, beginning with harvesting or slaughtering and ending with its cooking and consumption, an ideology commonly referred to as “from field to fork”. It is considered as one of the life sciences and is usually considered distinct from the field of nutrition.
[College Code Kolkata: NCMTKOL] [College Code Durgapur: NCMTDGP]
|M.Sc. (Dietetics & Nutrition)|
Nutrition also called nourishment or aliment is the provision, to cells and organisms, of the materials necessary (in the form of food) to support life. The duration of M.Sc. (Dietetics & Nutrition) is mostly two academic years but it may vary among institutes. The master’s degree course is very valuable and career orienting one that provides many career opportunities to the degree holders after its successful completion.
The main objectives of the master’s degree is to impart knowledge and develop capacities of the students through state of the art higher education in the areas of Human Nutrition and Food Science, Food Safety and Quality, Food Processing and Food Product Development.
To develop students to become professionals in these and related areas who can work effectively and efficiently in academics, research, food industry, training, extension and community service. To develop capacities and abilities and enable them to pursue higher education and research in Food Science, Nutrition and Food Processing.
Scope & Career Opportunities
- Menu planner – Monitoring the food preparation
- Management Dietician or Nutritionist
- Clinical and Therapeutic Dietician
- Researcher – Universities, Specialist Institutions and Hospitals
- Public Health and Community Dietician.
- Assistant Manager
- Quality Manager
- Preserving Supervisor
- Teacher and Professor
- Article Writer and Columnist
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Principles Of Food Science
- Epidemiology & Changing Healthcare Sector
- Food Microbiology
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Nutritional Physiology & Biochemistry
- Biometric Assessment Of Nutritional Status
- Dietary Management -I
- Advanced Nutrition
- Women Health And Nutrition
- Nutritional Policy & Programme For Public Health
- Therapeutic Diet Chart Preparation – I
- Industry Assignment: Public Health And Nutritional Status
- Dietary Management -Ii
- Research Methodology
- Paediatric And Geriatric Nutrition
- Health Information Management & Decision Making
- Food Safety, Processing & Quality Control
- Therapeutic Diet Chart Preparation – Ii
- Research Project
- Entrepreneurship In Food Service
- Food Preservation & Packaging
- Food Economics & Institutional Food Administration
- Viva Voce
- The candidates should complete their B.Sc. degree under any registered university with subjects like Physics, Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology and Microbiology.
- B.Sc. (Family and Community Sciences) with specialization in Nutrition.
- B.Sc. (Vocational) with specialization in Food Science and Quality control or Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics or Food Science and Technology or B.Tech. Food Science and Technology.
- B.Sc. (Family and Community Sciences) Programme with specialization in Foods and Nutrition/Public health Nutrition/Dietetics/Food Science and Quality Control.
2 Years (Full Time)